Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Wrap-and-Go Skirt

"The Wrap-and-Go Skirt. One one main pattern piece. No zipper, no darts, no buttons, no snaps. Just slip it on, wrap and tie, and you're all set to go!"

No lies here. This skirt was super quick to make and I love the style.
The pattern is Butterick 4617.  The fabric is a lovely, light denim purchased just a few days ago from Tessuti (I think it's this one).

I have to confess that I have totally copied Rachel with this skirt. I love having friends who sew! This is her pattern, which I think she may have received from her mother in law, and she has already made it up in this exact denim from Tessuti. What will we do if we both wear our skirts to the same place?? Oh my! Fashion faux pas!
As the skirt is cut on the bias, it really eats up a lot of fabric. I used 1.4 meters @ 150cms wide.
The only changes I made were to the length, which I shortened to just knee length, and I added just over an inch to the back of each skirt panel as I was a little worried about how little it was overlapping. I definitely think this was the wise modification to make, especially after being caught by a short blast of wind waiting at Woolies. Yikes!

9 comments:

  1. Oooh I love it... Might have to try and find the pattern! It looks great on you - does anything not?! Hope you're enjoying the sunshine!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's retro too! I made one like this in Home Ec in the 70's. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. Very flattering. Definately a wordrobe staple

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great - I just made one very similar - a different Butterick pattern from the 70s. Might have to make a denim one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I love it. I'm going to see if I can find this pattern on Ebay or elsewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love those big 70s pockets - so cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous, may have to shamelessly copy every aspect of it! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks terrific! Every part of it! I bet that you'll wear this skirt a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for reminding me of this skirt! I sewed that skirt when I was in Home Ec! And yes, I bought the now "vintage" pattern new! I love wrap skirts!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them, but don't always have the time to respond. Please email me if you have a pressing question :)